Father of US commando killed in Yemen refused to meet Trump

 

Navy Seal Chief Petty Officer William "Ryan" OwensImage copyrightCAPT JASON SALATA
Image captionNavy Seal Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens died in the raid on 28 January

The father of a US Navy Seal killed in a raid on a suspected al-Qaeda compound in Yemen last month has said that he refused to meet US President Donald Trump when his son’s body arrived home.

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to see him,” he said he told a chaplain at the time.

The raid on 28 January was the first such operation authorised by Mr Trump.

Bill Owens, whose son William “Ryan” Owens was killed, told the Miami Heraldthat “the government owes my son an investigation”.

“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn’t even barely a week into his administration? Why?” he said in an interview with the newspaper published on Sunday.

“For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen – everything was missiles and drones – because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?”

US raid on al-Qaeda in Yemen: What we know

The raid – approved by President Trump just six days after he took office – is believed to have killed several civilians, including children.

Three other Americans were wounded in the raid, planning for which began under the Obama administration.

A report in the New York Times alleged that the mission had been compromised early on – something the commandos knew from intercepted communications, the paper said.

“They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning,” it quoted a former Seal Team 6 official as saying.

But the military disputed this, saying there was no evidence the mission was compromised.

U.S. President Donald Trump and his daughter Ivanka Trump walk toward Marine One while departing from the White House, on February 1, 2017 in Washington, DC.Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionPresident Donald Trump made the unannounced trip to Dover Air Base in Delaware on 1 February

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said at Monday’s daily briefing that he could not possibly imagine the father’s grief.

“I can tell him on behalf of the president, his son died a hero,” Mr Spicer said.

“The information that he was able to help obtain through that raid, as I’ve said before, was going to help American lives, it’s going to protect our country more. He made a sacrifice for this country.”

The White House suggested on Sunday that President Trump might support an investigation into the raid.

Mr Owens said he was told that his son was killed early on in a fierce gunfight that erupted with AQAP militants.

A flag-draped casket bearing his body was flown to Dover Air Base on 1 February for a private ceremony. Mr Owens said he only learned that President Trump and his daughter Ivanka were on their way when he was already there.

“I told them I didn’t want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn’t let me talk to him,” he said.

A military veteran, he told the Miami Herald that Mr Trump’s comments during the presidential campaign about the family of a dead Muslim US soldier had disturbed him.

He said that the White House should not “hide behind” his son’s death to ignore criticism of the raid.

William “Ryan” Owens, a 36-year-old married father of three, was a member of the elite Seal Team 6.

Published by

gabugo

Author, Pastor, Development and Valuation Surveyor, CEO LandAssets Consult Ltd., Publisher, The Property Gazette.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s