Edgar Mendoza, 32, is accused of breaking into a Trenton, N.J. home at about 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 19 and molesting a 6-year-old girl while she was in bed, according to the Trentonian. Her father realized something was amiss when he noticed an upstairs light was turned off, according to the Star Ledger.
When the father entered the bedroom, he found Mendoza on the young girl’s bed, police said. Mendoza leapt from the second-story window and ran off, police said. The father called police.
Mendoza, originally from Guatemala, faces charges of burglary, endangering the welfare of a child, sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault, the newspaper reported.
Detectives stopped Mendoza after the attack and the girl’s father identified him, police said. Detectives later discovered the girl had been sexually assaulted, the Trentonian reported, and she was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Mendoza’s cell phone was found near the home, police said.
Mendoza agreed to remain in jail while his criminal case moves through the courts.
“Due to my situation here, the fact that I don’t have my papers and the fact that I am facing those charges, I think I am going to have to be detained,” Mendoza said during the hearing, according to the Trentonian.
Emerging report on Friday morning, alleged that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is closing in on the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu.
This shocking disclosure was made by the former Minister of Aviation and President Muhammadu Buhari’s worst critic, Femi Fani-Kayode, in an article, titled: “The Travails of Ibe Kachikwu”.
Recall, that Buhari had earlier rescheduled the private meeting he intended to have with Kachikwu, over the leakage of his controversial letter, where he accused the Group Managing Director, GMD, of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Baru Maikanti, of insubordination, misappropriation of funds, among others.
Fani Kayode wrote: “From what I have seen and heard, the truth is that the EFCC is already in the process of a detailed investigation and are closing in on him (Kachikwu).
“To them, syphoning 24 billion USD from the coffers of the National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by awarding questionable contracts outside of due process, means absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, that is what is expected of their cronies and agents.
“Where else will they get the money for Buhari’s 2019 Presidential campaign from? My friend and brother, Reno Omokri, captured the situation rather well, when he wrote the following: ‘The first time Muhammadu Buhari was Petroleum Minister in the 1970s, Fela sang ‘2.8 billion Naira missing’. Now he is Petroleum Minister again and Kachikwu is singing $26 billion missing! Why is it that huge billions tend to go missing or spent without due process whenever Buhari is Minister of Petroleum?’ However, Kachikwu was naive for writing that letter to Buhari!”
North Korea could instantly kill four million people in just minutes
The website calculated its estimates based on the assumption Kim has already amassed 25 nukes with a destructive power of 15 kilotons, the same as the Hiroshima bomb dropped by the United States at the end of the Second World War.
But despot Kim’s test of a hydrogen bomb in September had an estimated yield of at least 108 kilotons – with some estimates putting it as high as 250.
And 38 North warned if just a few of these smaller bombs made it through defences to detonate over Seoul or Tokyo, the potential devastation would be catastrophic.
Report author Michael Zagurek Junior said: “The population densities for both Seoul and Tokyo are far higher today than they were during the 1940s and 1950s.
North Korea propaganda video ‘attacks’ US military
A South Korean Special Army female soldier performs ‘Teukgong martial arts’Based on the current North Korea yield estimates could result in anywhere from 400,000 to 2 million deaths.
Report author Michael Zagurek Junior
“Multiple nuclear weapon detonations on both Seoul and Tokyo based on the current North Korea yield estimates could result in anywhere from 400,000 to 2 million deaths.
“With possible thermonuclear yields with the same number of weapons, the number of deaths could range between 1.3 and 3.8 million.”
This would inevitably lead to millions of people dying in just minutes of the initial blast.
And millions more could face an agonising death over months or even years if hit by the nuclear fallout.
Mr Zagreb also warned the sabre-rattling rhetoric from the US could make an attack from North Korea more likely.
Kim Jong Un could drop a bomb on Seoul or Tokyo
He said: “The US carrying out any military option raises a significant risk of military escalation by the North, including the use of nuclear weapons against South Korea and Japan.
“If the ‘unthinkable’ happened, nuclear detonations over Seoul and Tokyo with North Korea’s current estimated weapon yields could result in as many as 2.1 million fatalities and 7.7 million injuries.”
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula are running high as the hermit state shows no sign of slowing in its pursuit of more powerful nukes, as well as the long-range missiles needed to deliver them to their targets.
Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera warned next week’s anniversary of the ruling North Korea Workers Party could be marked with another missile launch.
He said: “I understand it is an important anniversary for North Korea. We would like to maintain a sense of urgency.”
North Korean diplomat arrives for meeting in Moscow
Anton Morozov, a member of the Russian Duma’s international affairs committee, and two other Russian lawmakers visited Pyongyang on October 2 to 6, RIA reported.
Mr Morozov said: “They are preparing for new tests of a long-range missile. They even gave us mathematical calculations that they believe prove that their missile can hit the west coast of the United States.
“As far as we understand, they intend to launch one more long-range missile in the near future. And in general, their mood is rather belligerent.”
Nigeria became the first African team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup on Saturday after a 1-0 victory over Zambia.
Alex Iwobi came off the bench and struck late in the second half as the Super Eagles soared to 13 points in Group B, finishing comfortably above Zambia, Cameroon and Algeria to secure their sixth appearance at the World Cup.
Iwobi latched onto a cutback just inside the box after good interplay between Victor Moses and Shehu Abdullahi, before drilling home with unerring accuracy in the 74th minute.
With one match left to play, Nigeria can begin to look forward to their sixth appearance at the grandest stage of all.
In Group E, Ghana and Uganda played out a dour goalless draw in Kampala which dents the pair’s hopes of World Cup qualification and leaves Egypt within one win of a place in Russia next year.
The Black Stars will feel hard done by after replays showed a number of incorrect decisions by the officials.
Nevertheless, the stalemate took Uganda to eight points, one behind Egypt who play their game in hand against already eliminated Congo-Brazzaville in Alexandria on Sunday knowing that a victory would end their 27-year wait for a place at the World Cup.
Ghana, in third on six points, need Egypt to lose against Congo, Uganda to fail to beat the Red Devils next month, and to beat the Pharaohs in their final qualifier to reach a fourth consecutive World Cup.
Senegal are well on course to qualify for the World Cup next year after a 2-0 victory in Cape Verde that took them top of qualifying Group D.
Diafra Sakho was the man who got the all-important opener, laying the ball off to substitute M’baye Niang before smashing his teammate’s parried shot into the roof of the net after the goalkeeper could not hold a stinging Niang shot across goal.
Cheikh Ndoye put the cherry on top with a second goal deep into stoppage time, which did Senegal’s goal-difference no harm as they top the group on eight points.
Senegal will guarantee qualification for Russia 2018 if they beat South Africain one of their final two matches against Bafana Bafana, who kept their own hopes alive with a 3-1 home victory over Burkina Faso.
That game in Johannesburg was tainted once again by questionable refereeing decisions as Bongani Zungu was dismissed during a scuffle after goals from Percy Tau, Themba Zwane and Sibusiso Vilakazi has already put the hosts three up before half-time.
Alain Traore scored a brilliant, late free kick for the Burkinabe, whose own World Cup hopes are now in trouble but not yet done.
Youssef Msakni capped an outstanding display with a hat trick and Naby Keita was sent off for violent conduct as Tunisia came from behind to beat Guinea4-1 and remain at the top of World Cup qualifying Group A.
Keita scored first for Guinea before Msakni’s three goals and an assist for Mohamed Amine Ben Amor turned things around completely.
Tunisia will be overwhelming favourites to get the job done at home against Libya in their final fixture next month, however, DR Congo are still in the hunt after beating Libya2-1 in Monastir.
Congo stuttered en route to three points when Libya’s Elmutasem Al Musrati struck in the 69th minute to cancel out Cedric Bakambu’s opener, but Wilfred Moke nabbed the winner for the Leopards in the 74th minute.
Morocco claimed a big step towards Russia 2018 in Group C after a 3-0 home victory over Gabon that eliminated their opponents from the World Cup.
Khalid Boutaib struck a hat trick to seal the result as the Atlas Lions moved a point above Ivory Coast, who failed to ignite in a 0-0 drawwith struggling Mali.
These results place all the significance on the Elephants’ final home fixture in early November against Morocco, who only need a draw to qualify and deny the Ivorians a spot in Russia.
In the other game in Nigeria’s Group B, Clinton N’Jie and the debuting Frantz Pangop fired Cameroon past Algeria as the reigning African champions secured a 2-0 win in Yaounde.
The heavyweight duo, both of whom were present in Brazil in 2014, were already out of the running for the global showpiece in Russia next summer after taking just three and one point respectively from their opening Group B fixtures.
President Donald Trump’s lawyers have adopted a new legal strategy of cooperating with special counsel Robert Mueller in the hopes that he will do the one thing former FBI director James Comey did not: confirm publicly that Trump is not being investigated as part of the FBI’s Russia probe, according to The New York Times.
Mueller was appointed special counsel after Trump fired Comey in May. Initially, the White House said Trump’s dismissal of Comey was based entirely on Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein’s recommendation and because of his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation.
Shortly after, however, Trump told NBC’s Lester Holt that “this Russia thing” had been a factor in his decision, and that he was going to fire Comey regardless of Rosenstein’s recommendation.
Comey also told the Senate Intelligence Committee in June that before firing him, Trump had asked him to shut down the FBI’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, which included examining whether the Trump campaign had colluded with Moscow to tilt the election in his favor.
Trump’s advisers reportedly urged more transparency in the initial statement, but he overruled them and the statement had to be amended several times as new details about the meeting emerged.
Trump’s legal team at first contemplated undertaking an aggressive strategy meant to discredit Mueller and the Russia investigation, but they reportedly switched gears after white-collar criminal defense attorney Ty Cobb took over the White House’s response to the probe.
White House counsel Don McGahn, on the other hand, has resisted being too forthcomingbecause he thinks Trump will be able to assert executive privilege over many of their interactions.
But it appears that the White House is leaning towards Cobb’s strategy — The Times reported that officials are “strongly considering” allowing McGahn to speak to Mueller’s team about his private conversations with Trump.
Hurricane Nate has weakened to a tropical storm as it moves inland after hitting the US Gulf Coast. Nate left at least 30 people dead and displaced thousands more as it swept through Central America.
Hurricane Nate has been downgraded to a tropical storm on Sunday and has weakened as it moves inland after hitting the US Gulf Coast as a Category One storm, the US National Hurricane Center said on Sunday.
Nate made a second landfall on the Gulf Coast early Sunday, hitting the state of Mississippi’s narrow strip of coastline with sustained winds of up to 140 kilometers (85 miles) per hour. It initially came ashore in southeast Louisiana before briefly heading back to sea.
“This is the worst hurricane that has impacted Mississippi since Hurricane Katrina,” Mississippi Emergency Management Director Lee Smithson said Saturday. “Everyone needs to understand that: that this is a significantly dangerous situation.”
Storm surges caused sea levels to rise dramatically in the southern tip of the state, pushing water onto roads and knocking out power. At one point, the eye of the storm passed over Keesler Air Force Base, where the National Hurricane Center’s hurricane hunter planes are kept, the center said.
The Miami-based agency warned of dangerous storm surge and floods in places that normally remain dry, adding that the storm was expected to weaken significantly after landfall.
US President Donald Trump said federal officials were prepared for the storm, and urged residents of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi to “listen to your local authorities & be safe!”
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu warned the city’s residents on Saturday that the storm could cause severe flooding in some areas. But Nate passed to the east of the city, largely sparing it from the most ferocious winds and storm surge. Its relatively quick speed lowered the chances of prolonged rain taxing its weakened drainage pump system.
Landrieu repealed a mandatory curfew when the NHC dropped a hurricane warning for the iconic city.
In Florida, Governor Rick Scott warned residents of the Panhandle, 300 kilometers (190 miles) east of Mississippi, to prepare for Nate’s impact.
“Hurricane Nate is expected to bring life-threatening storm surges, strong winds and tornados that could reach across the Panhandle,” Scott said. About 100,000 residents of the area have been affected by evacuations.
In 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated Louisiana, leaving behind a trail of death and destruction, most notably in New Orleans. More than 1,500 deaths and over $1 billion (€850 million) worth of damage were attributed to the record-breaking storm.
Nicaragua was hit with two weeks of constant rain ahead of Nate’s arrival. The whole country has been placed on alert with warnings of flooding and landslides. At least 11 died, including two women and a man who worked for the Health Ministry who were swept away by a flooded canal in the central municipality of Juigalpa.
New Orleans battens down as strengthening Hurricane Nate approaches
US authorities expect Hurricane Nate to slam into the Gulf Coast as it heads for New Orleans. Nate claimed at least 25 lives as a tropical storm in Central America before charting a path towards the US. (07.10.2017)
Recovering from Katrina: Will New Orleans become the world’s climate beacon?
An image of dysfunction after Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans has picked itself up, dusted itself off and is becoming a symbol of resilience in a world where climate change is causing increasing panic and despondency. (23.08.2016)
Hurricane Harvey: Unexpected fallout from a climate disaster
Flooded streets and destroyed homes are the immediate results of Harvey. But now, a toxic soup is threatening people and nature in a city known as the “oil capital of the world.” (05.09.2017)
Hurricane Maria hits Puerto Rico
Hurricane Maria, the second megastorm to hit the Caribbean this month, has caused widespread damage in Puerto Rico after pummeling the islands of Dominica and Guadeloupe. Thousands are without power. (21.09.2017)
Hurricane Irma smashes into mainland Florida
Hurricane Irma has made landfall for the second time in Florida as a Category 2 storm, pummeling the state from coast-to-coast. Three people have died and power has been cut to some 3 million homes. (10.09.2017)
Hurricanes release energy of 10,000 nuclear bombs
The Atlantic hurricane season is at its midway point but has already seen some mega-storms. Even average hurricanes release huge amounts of energy. Where does it all come from? (21.09.2017)
JOHANNESBURG/ LAGOS (Reuters) – PPC said on Friday that Nigeria’s Dangote Cement had withdrawn its interest in a tie-up with the South African firm, sending its shares down more than 13 percent.
Africa’s richest person Aliko Dangote joined the race to buy South Africa’s biggest cement producer in September. PPC is already the subject of an all-share merger bid by local rival AfriSam that values it at $700 million.
“Shareholders are advised that, on 5 October 2017, the Board received from Dangote a formal withdrawal of its interest in respect of the Proposed Combination,” PPC said in a statement.
PPC gave no reason for the move but a Dangote source said Dangote was concerned about the commercial logic of the deal after the local competition watchdog had scrutinised it.
“Essentially we’ll be buying market share subject to stipulations/conditions placed by the anti-competition commission,” the source said. Dangote’s South African unit Sephaku is the country’s largest cement maker.
Shares in PPC fell 13.64 percent, before recovering some ground to trade 4.34 percent lower at 6.17 rand at 1121 GMT. The price was still above AfriSam’s 5.75 rand offer price.
The interest from Dangote Cement, with a market capitalisation of $12 billion, had raised hopes of a bidding war and pushed PPC’s share price above AfriSam’s offer price.
“The general feeling was that Dangote would provide some sort of stability as well as capital going forward,” Independent Securities trader Ryan Woods said.
(Reporting by Nqobile Dludla; Editing by James Macharia and Alexander Smith)