Iran has informed the UN it plans to increase uranium enrichment within the limits of the 2015 deal with world powers. The move comes amid a growing uncertainty about the future of the landmark Iran nuclear deal.

    
A nuclear facility in south of Iran (BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images)

Behrouz Kamalvandi, the spokesman for the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization, was quoted by state media as saying that a letter had been submitted to the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) detailing Iran’s move.

Ali Akbar Salehi, director of Iran’s atomic program and a vice president, also confirmed that his country had started working on advanced centrifuges at its Natanz facility.

Salehi said the latest nuclear activities would remain within the framework of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and global powers.

“If conditions allow, maybe tomorrow night at Natanz, we can announce the opening of the center for production of new centrifuges” for uranium enrichment, Salehi said Tuesday, quoted by conservative news agency Fars.

Read more:

Benjamin Netanyahu and Angela Merkel play down Iran differences

Opinion: Khamenei’s empty threats over the Iran nuclear deal

Watch video12:24

US pulls out of Iran nuclear deal: DW’s Clare Richardson, political analyst Markus Kaim

The end of the JCPOA?

Observers have had differing reactions to the announcement, and with it, the fate of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), often referred to as the Iran nuclear deal signed by China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany and the EU in 2015.

Maja Kocijancic, a spokeswoman for EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini, said that Iran’s steps did not constitute a breach of the agreement but added: “However, at this critical juncture, they will not contribute to build confidence in the nature of the Iranian nuclear program.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who claimed this week that Iran was clearly aiming “to create an arsenal of nuclear bombs” to destroy his country, addressed the fate of the JCPOA at a press conference with French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris Tuesday: “I didn’t ask France to withdraw from the JCPOA because I think it is basically going to be dissolved by the weight of economic forces.”

President Macron used the opportunity to call on “everyone to stabilize the situation and not give into this escalation which would lead to only one thing: conflict.”

A reaction to Trump’s withdrawal?

In a speech on Monday, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed to preserve the Islamic country’s nuclear program amid growing pressure from the US.

US President Donald Trump last month announced withdrawal from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan for Action, approved by his predecessor Barack Obama. Apart from the US and Iran, the UK, Russia, France, China and Germany had also signed the accord.

Iran insists it has the option of resuming industrial-scale enrichment following the US exit from the deal.

French President Emmanuel Macron has been pushing for a new Iran nuclear deal through which the US and Europe could tackle Trump’s concerns about Tehran’s nuclear program and beyond. A new accord could also take into account Iran’s ballistic missile program, and stop Tehran’s activities in Syria and Yemen.

But the European Union believes the existing Iran nuclear deal is effective and has largely curtailed the Islamic country’s nuclear activities.

Read more:

Iran, EU aiming to keep the nuclear deal alive

Iran lists tough conditions for Europe to save nuclear deal

js,shs/rc  (AFP, Reuters, AP)

COURTESY: DW

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s